Coming Alive

Wherever we may come alive, that is the area in which we are spiritual. - David Steindl-Rast


I've had a lot on my mind for the last month
(actually for quite some time but it came to a head in the past month).
I've been thinking about where I'm going, who I am, what I want out of life, etc.

My spirituality is something that keeps coming up. I've gotten back into yoga and have spent a lot of time reading about yoga, but not just the actual poses or yoga as an exercise. I've always felt that yoga was more for my mind than it was for my body.
When I do it I feel at peace and relaxed. My further study into yoga has gotten me thinking about peace and relaxation in my life, not just when I'm doing yoga.

I have a feeling that finding peace will mean changes in many parts of my life, but a big one that I've decided on is in my eating habits. I've decided to become a vegetarian and slowly ease into veganism. At first I thought I would still eat animal meat, but VERY, VERY rarely, and only if it was organic and if I knew that the animals had lives a humane life, but now I'm not sure if I'll do even that. It is something that I'll have to give more thought.

I don't think that being a vegetarian will be too difficult for me because I already eat animal meat so rarely, and when I do it's chicken and fish. I will be cutting out ALL meat from my diet, from here on out (well, today is actually day 2 for me). I'm looking forward to trying new recipes full of flavor and my new 4 main food groups: whole grains, vegetables, fruit and legumes.

So far, most people have been really supportive of this decision. I'm not expecting others to make the same decision, cause it's a personal choice. My reasons have more to do with saving the earth than with my love of animals, but the treatment of animals in slaughter houses is something that isn't ok with me, and me not eating meat is a small sacrifice compared to the treatment the animals I would be eating would have endured.

I'm sorry if this sounds preachy, that's not my intent. I just want to let people to know what is going on with me and the path my life is taking. My food choices tie in with my new views on spirituality and on who I want to be.

Again, I'm very grateful for all the support from my friends and family!



1 comments:

Rach said...

Sometimes finding out who we really are can be scary and unerving, but even worse if we turn our backs on it and deny ourselves what we need and are as humans. It is refreshing to read that you are embracing you.

I'm a girl from a good family who was very well brought up. One day I turned my back on it all and became a bohemian.

~Brigitte Bardot

Followers