Journal Wrecking Update

I'm painting an idea not an ideal. ~Euan Uglow
Let me ask you something, what is not art? ~Author Unknown

I've had my journal for a few days and have done a couple of the assignments. Some were easy and some were hard. Some went against what I was always told about books (don't get them wet, don't burn them, etc.) and some of the assignments tested my ability to create. My journal is already getting worn and I'm keeping it closed and together with a rubber band.
Tonight, I probably did the hardest assignment...I SHOWERED with the journal! I kid you not. I casually tossed it onto the floor of the shower and with a weird sense of freedom, I took a shower. I was laughing most of the time and I couldn't believe I was actually letting a book get soaked in the shower!
After the shower I did the burn page. At first I burned a hole through the page with a lighter but then I thought it would be fun to use the stove to burn it. It ended up leaving scorch marks through a few pages, but oh well!
Earlier in the day I watched some season 1 of Buffy and colored this page. The shower ruined some of the drawing but the eggplant portion of the drawing stayed in tact.
I have a few pages that are being worked on as I write this. I have a page buried in the flower bed, decomposing. I have a page that I wrote a note on, left on a bus for someone to find. Last but not least, I have a page folded up and stuck in the back pocket of some jeans I'm going to wash tomorrow. And as strange as this may sound, I'm really pleased by all this!

2 comments:

Me said...

it sounds like so much fun and like you said so against everything that has ever been taught about the treatment of books. i may have to keep my eyes open for this book.

Sophia said...

I love the idea of a journal to be wrecked! Absolutely genius.

I'm a girl from a good family who was very well brought up. One day I turned my back on it all and became a bohemian.

~Brigitte Bardot

Followers